Nej's Natterings

Friday, January 05, 2007

Crash, bang, codswallop - part II

So, the coach crash...

Obviously tragic, but what has astounded me is what people have been saying - namely several of the survivors: "The bus was doing at least 80mph when it turned over".

Really? I doubt it. Can you honestly judge the speed that accurately - in the dark - with no speedometer to look at? Even speedometers are hopeless. Mine reads 80mph when the GPS (far more accurate) reads 73mph. They always over-read. I'd be really interested to put people in a car on a deserted motorway and get them to tell me what speed they think I'm doing. I bet it's nearly always wrong. Psychologically, if I drove in the outside lane at 60, they'd probably say I was doing 80. If I drove in the inside lane at 80, they'd probably say I was doing 60 because we're conditioned to think you go faster in the outside lane. I don't know what lane the coach was in - I suspect the inner lane given the slip road, actually - but you see the point. You just can't tell.

Anyway, the coach was definately not doing 80mph. It was limited to 62mph to start with. It was on or near a slip-road, and wouldn't have had the time to build up the speed. I guess the tacho will show the truth but I'd be amazed if it was doing 80. When was the last time a coach tried to overtake you on the motorway? Exactly.

The point I'm making is that people have automatically assumed the driver was speeding. And speed is A Bad Thing. We know this because we are told this. Despite the official figures that showed that speed was only a factor in 25% of road deaths last year.

The driver may have been at fault - that's for the police or a jury to decide - but let's not blame it on speed without proof, please.

And let's not sensationalise it with ridiculous claims.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home