Nej's Natterings

Monday, December 18, 2006

Feel my wrath, Telewest

If you were the man from Telewest who is in charge of scheduling a 2 hour firmware update to the TV Drive box (the box of tricks that lets me record multiple programs at the same time, watch them when I want and pause/rewind live TV. Believe me, once you've had one you'll never want to be without it), and that this upgrade would leave the box unusable during the update, would you decide that a good time to carry out said upgrade is either:

a) 3am Sunday morning, as long as there are no recordings scheduled to take place.
b) 6:30pm on Saturday evening, just before the X-Factor final.

Yep, the best time is obviously b).

I was so angry with Telewest for doing such a stupid thing that I decided to call them. Only I couldn't, because I got a message saying "We are experiencing high call volume. Please call back later, loser." and then it hung up.

why why why do it during the day at all? Yet alone just before the X-Factor final that I had setup to record, because I can't watch the beginning of it as it clashes with Joe's bath/bedtime.

It just makes no sense in the slightest to do it at this time. And why did it take so long? The firmware in this box is not large, because firmware isn't. A couple of meg, max. This should take under a minute to download. Then to verify the checksum, backup the old firmware, write the new one in and verify it again should take a couple of minutes. But it took nearly two bloody hours.

The most stupid part is that I thought I'd record it onto DVD instead, but I couldn't because the DVD recorder is patched in through the TV Drive, through the VCR pass-through port, but that wasn't even available during the update. So, short of re-wiring my entire TV/TV-Drive/DVD Recorder/Surround Sound/VCR/Playstation/PC setup (NOT going to happen!) I was going to miss the program, or at least miss what was going on whilst Joe was bathing and bedding. I caught the last twenty minutes or so on normal, analogue TV. In a couple of years that'll be switched off as well, leaving me reliant on Telewest and their hopeless, clueless management.

Great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home