Nej's Natterings

Thursday, January 04, 2007

My pips are squeaking

Ok, enough already. My pips are squeaking and I can't take any more tax:

Tax on what we earn (twice, if you include national insurance)
Tax on waste collection (Council Tax - I can't see what else it does)
Tax on what we spend (VAT)
Tax everytime we get in our car (Road Tax + Fuel Duty + Tolls + Congestion Charges)
Tax on alchohol
Tax on cigarettes
Tax on plane travel
Tax on moving house (Stamp Duty)
Tax on insurance (IPT)
Tax on interest earned
Tax on things we sell (Capital Gains Tax)
and so on...

And then, to cap it off, they tax you when you die as well.

I mean, come on! This is quite ridiculous. Tax used to be a thing that was introduced occasionally to pay for some war or other when the reigning monarch couldn't quite afford it themselves and King Merde decided to invade across the channel.

Now everything we do is taxed. Every penny we earn is taxed. Moving house? Cough up thousands of pounds. Why? I really really don't understand why we should pay to move house. Capital Gains Tax? If I buy something - at my own risk - and sell it on at a profit with my own canniness, I have to pay Gordon Brown. What has he done to deserve it? Dare to die? Well, your children had better sell the family home you left them in the will because the government for some reason thinks it's entitled to 40% of everything you strived for during your life.

If I manage to earn £1million, at least £400,000 of that would go straight to the treasury. Then if I died the next day and left it to my kids, 40% of the remaining £600,000 (i.e. £240,000) would goto Mr Brown, leaving only £360,000 out of the initial million. The government would have got it's hands on £640,000 for no good reason whatsoever. How is that reasonable?

If I walk up to you in the street and demand you give me all your money, or else I'm going to kidnap you, I'd goto prison. Yet the goverment does exactly this all of the time. Pay up, or we'll send you to prison.

I appreciate that some tax does need to be paid. Keeping roads running well, the NHS fully-staffed and efficient, and a good education system. But we don't actually have any of these things anyway, so where the bloody hell is the money going? I'll tell you. It goes here:

Wars we shouldn't be fighting.
Payments to the EU that we shouldn't belong to.
Benefits to work-shy lazy scroungers who don't deserve them.
Quangos that needn't exist.
MP's salarys and benefits that do not need to be so lavish.
Useless computer systems that are over specified with useless contracts.
Subsidies to poorly run rail networks that should never have been privatised.
Thousands of unnecessary civil servants.

Trim out all this crap (and more), re-nationalise the railways and cut our tax bill by 50%.

Then we'd see a happy nation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home