Nej's Natterings

Monday, April 30, 2007

Gumball!

Sunday was the start of the 2007 Gumball Rally, so we just had to go and check it out.

It started in Pall Mall, which had been closed for the event. There were over 100 supercars - Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Ford GTs, Zondas, and even a Bugatti Veyron and an F1 car. There were also lots of Range Rovers, Rolls Royces, Bentleys etc, plus a few odd-ball cars.

For those that don't know what the Gumball is, their official site is probably www.gumball3000.com The premise is that it covers about 3000 miles in 8 days by car (and also some by plane). This year they went from London to somewhere in Germany, then fly to Istanbul and drive back. Last year they went from London to somewhere, flew to Thailand for a few days, then to America.

It attracts lots of celebrity type people these days, and lots of attention from the police!

Pall Mall was packed. We wandered down looking at the cars, taking pictures. We then went to a pub (we went up with my brother and his girlfriend, and a few other friends) for a drink, then took a quick wander to Trafalgar Square to show Joe Nelson's Column. Then we went back to Pall Mall, had a wander up the other side of the row of cars, then headed into St James Street for the start. By this time it was really really packed, and we couldn't see much, so I resorted to holding the camera up in the air and aiming it at passing cars. This actually worked better than I thought it might (the joys of a Digital SLR camera! Manually focus, set the shutter speed to 1/400, bump up the ISO, put it in continuous shooting mode and fire away).

The F1 car went past about 5 feet from where I was standing, with the driver revving it to the limit. This was probably the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life. I was holding Joe and he just looked at me and said "More". Nothing scares him!

Great day out, we'll go again next year. I think I might buy a few hundred plastic steps to sell for a fiver apiece or something next year, I'm sure there's a good profit to be made. Some people were scaling buildings and lamp-posts and all sorts to get a view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home