Nej's Natterings

Thursday, April 19, 2007

I would search 500 miles...

Next week I have a pay review, and am rather doubting that I'll get an increase at least inline with inflation (3%). The past 2 years I've had 1%, and before that nothing at all. What this means in real terms is that I've had a pay cut every year.

This is not a good situation. Couple this with the fact that we're being kicked out of our building by August, with no idea about where we are going, I've been casting my eye around a bit for jobs.

And what I've hit is the problem with job search engines. I specify I want a SQL Developer job at my postcode. Obviously there aren't any actually in my street, so the searches extend about five miles out. This is fine, but still a bit limiting. So I increase it to ten miles. Then the problem starts. Ten miles encompasses London, and I don't want to work in London, but there are lots of jobs in London. So I go from getting maybe ten results within 5 miles, to getting 300 results within 10 miles, of which I'm probably not interested in because of where they are.

What they need is a "10 miles in a southerly direction" search.

Maybe I should apply for a job at a job agency and develop one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home