Nej's Natterings

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Strike One!

I'm really struggling with this whole teachers' strike thing. From what I can tell, they've been offered a pay increase of over 2% this year, and for the next couple of years as well.

Frankly, that's more than I've had in the past few years, and they aren't desperately underpaid, so why the hell are they striking?

Do they think they are underpaid? In which case, why did they become teachers? Surely they knew the salaries before they decided to do it? In any case, I think a lot of the time that people only become teachers is because they don't know what else to do. Sure, some want to make a difference and all that, but for many it's going to be something to do. We are so desperate for them that you are basically guaranteed a job. And you get a nice long summer holiday. And Christmas holiday. And Easter holiday.

Also, if I ever decided to take Jess out of school for a day, I'd have to write all sorts of explaining letters. If I took her out to go on holiday during term-time (to save lots of money), I could be fined. But it's perfectly okay for the teachers to decide to shut the school.

I think I should write to the headmaster demanding a £100 payment. That would be fair.

Frankly, if they don't like their pay, or their (perfectly fair) pay increases, they are more than welcome to go out and get other jobs. Ungrateful sods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home