Nej's Natterings

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rumble rumble

Apparently everyone in the entire country was woken from their slumbers at 1am on Wednesday morning, by a huge earthquake. Of course, this is huge in the British sense of things, where a huge snowfall is a couple of inches, and a huge wind is a 60mph gust. For a country that has no extremes of weather whatsoever we seem to have a lot of problems with it.

Anyway, I'm unsure if I was woken by it or not. I do know that at some point during the night (I do not know when) I was woken by a rumbling that I thought was a lorry driving past. Given that I was sleeping in a Premier Inn, flanked on one side by a huge petrol station frequented by lots of big trucks and on the other by the A14 and A1, this was not unlikely. So I cannot say for sure that I experienced this earthquake.

But what made me laugh was when I was watching the news the next morning (Well, later on the same morning, but you know what I mean), and they were interviewing a guy from Lincolnshire who was close to the epicentre.

He was describing his experience and said "Of course, the first thing I thought of was 'it's terrorism'".

Terrorism? In bloody Lincolnshire? Are you mad? I can just see Osama Bin Laden sitting in his Afghan cave, going through a list of potential targets... "New York? Done that. London? Done that, too. Paris? No need, they'll surrender anyway. Berlin? No, they might actually catch us. Rome? Is there even a government there these days? So... oh, I know! Lincolnshire! We can blow up a field of turnips. That'll set the Western economy back years."

Idiot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home