Nej's Natterings

Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm stupid

Not often you'll hear me say that. Or, more accurately, see that I've typed it. But 'tis true. I am stupid. In my defence, so is Ele. I shall explain.

A couple of years ago, the sparky-clicky thing on our oven stopped working. By this I mean the button you press to produce a spark that lights the gas. We've gotten around this ever since by the simple method of a gas hob lighter, which is basically a cigarette lighter with a long handle. It's not too inconvenient, apart from the main oven bit, which requires squatting down to the floor and shoving your hand into the oven to igninte the flame at the back.

Anyway, we've lived with it, although at one point we did consider buying a new oven, before deciding it wasn't worth the expense.

Then, on Saturday, I managed to drop something down the back of the oven. Ele pulled the oven out a bit, but I couldn't reach it, and then she pulled it a bit too far, meaning the thing I had dropped now lay flat on the floor, rather than leaning against the back of the oven. This necessitated pulling the oven out entirely, which we did.

"What's the battery for?" asked Ele, noticing an AA battery on the back of the oven.
"I dunno, just put it back we've got to get on with the dinner... hang on a minute!" said I, running to the lounge to get a new AA battery, which we had conveniently purchased a new pack of the previous weekend.

I replaced the battery, and hey-presto, the sparky thing works again.

Not once in those two years (it may actually be longer than that) did it ever occur to either of us that there must be some form of power source that might need renewing to make the sparky thing work.

So, chalk that one up to stupidity. I'm just relieved we didn't buy a new oven, as we'd have looked rather foolish when it was installed and we noticed the battery in the old one as it was removed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home