Nej's Natterings

Monday, January 22, 2007

Laughing policeman

Today I read something that made me laugh. A female Muslim newly-recruited police officer refused to shake the hand of the senior officer at the passing-out parade, because it is against Islam for her to touch another man.

Ooookay, so how exactly does this officer intend on arresting people?

"Please put these handcuffs on yourself and get in the back of the police car, there's a good chap" doesn't quite have the same ring as twisting an arm up a perpetrators back and growling "You're nicked, sunshine", does it?

I mean, we've already got Community Police Officers who can't actually arrest anyone, and now we have actual police officers (ok, one actual police officer) that refuses to do the same thing.

She should be fired immediately. Obviously the police force don't discriminate on grounds of religion - and neither should anyone - but she has obtained the job by deception, as she must have known from the start that she would have been incapable of doing the job. But they won't, because you can't argue with religion. That might be discriminatory.

Obviously the ability to actually do a job will soon no longer be a hindrance to getting it. I have no experience as a dentist, but they seem to earn lots of money, so I'll apply for one, put down that I'm perfectly capable of doing it, and then watch the money roll in. If they expect me to do any dentistry I'll just have to say that I've got a phobia of teeth and that they can't possibly make me do it. They wouldn't dare fire me, because I've got a phobia. Similar situation.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find a religion that stops me from using computer keyboards. That way I can get paid to sit at my desk and not do anything because, you know, it's against my religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home