Nej's Natterings

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Sunglasses

A while ago I lost my sunglasses. I was very sad because they were a nice pair of "Oakley" ones. I put the Oakley in the quotes because they were actually fake and brought from Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur on our last trip there. So not only were they nice, they were also a souvenier from a great holiday. I was very upset to have lost them.

They were in the back of the pushchair, which got put in the back of the car. A couple of days later I noticed them in the back of the car but didn't take them out, as I was wearing a different paid and didn't need them. A couple of days after that I went to retrieve them, only they weren't there.

We then went on holiday to Cornwall and I had to take the pair of sunglasses (these ones were purchased from Cairns. As you may guess I tend to forget to take sunglasses on holiday, resulting in the purchase of a new pair everytime I go abroad). Whilst we were on holiday I decided to search the back of the car again. I even looked under the seats, but they were nowhere to be found (the glasses, not the seats). I presumed they had fallen out of the car at some point.

Fast-forward a few weeks, and Vicky brings me a new pair of "Oakleys" from KL. I love them, as does Jessica. Ele doesn't like them so much, so she decided to search the car again, with no luck.

We then drove off to Sutton. When I opened the boot to retrieve the pushchair (incidentally NOT the same pushchair the sunglasses had been in), they they were, sitting there in plain view, mocking me. All very strange. I can only think they were threatened by the arrival of a new pair of sunglasses and so decided to make themselves known again.

Speaking of my new sunglasses, which are covered in a fairly reflective coating, I noticed that if I look in my rearview mirror whilst driving, I can see the reflection of the front of my glasses reflected again into the mirror. The double-reflection cancels out any reversing of the image and therefore I can see the road ahead in the reflection of the reflection of my sunglasses, if you see what I mean.

This is a really strange optical illusion, especially as when things pass out of my peripheral vision, they are just entering it in the relection of the reflection, meaning I'm passing things I've already passed. I spent a long time driving along like this before realising it wasn't particularly safe.

Like yesterday, I think I may be causing death and destruction behind me again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home