Nej's Natterings

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Greetings

I've already got a blog. Now I've got another one. Does that make me greedy? Well, I don't care.

The other blog is the "family" blog (The Drinkall Times). This one is for me to moan, point out the stupidity of the world and my general superiority, witty and informed political comments, amusing anecdotes, and to generally write interesting things. Well, maybe. I suspect I'll mostly moan. Hopefully I'll update this one more than once per week or once per fortnight like I do with the other one.

Here's one to start with. The M25 and it's fabulous warning systems. Last night, driving to Heathrow, I was closing up on J11 when I see a sign stating "J12 - J17 Congestion". This is to be expected, as it was 17:15. I closed up on J12 with trepidation and my right foot hovering over the brake pedal. But nothing. J12 passed in a blur and I closed up on J13. The signs were still insisting there were the sorts of traffic jams that would require me to leave my car and strike forth on foot to find nourishment and water. But as I passed J13, this is what I saw, taken with my trusty Sony Ericsson K800i:



Not a lot, you'll agree. There was eventually some traffic, a bit before J15 though.

In the event, I got to Heathrow really early. I was relying on the M25 to slow me down, but no, there was hardly anything. Ditto the M4. Ditto the Heathrow approach road, despite the roadworks there. And so I had to pay £10 to park the car for 2-and-a-bit hours. Bargain. Had the M25 lived up to its promises, I'd have been stuck there for an extra hour and my parking would have been cheaper. See, I can even moan about NOT being stuck in traffic. That's how good I am.

When I was there I snuck out for a crafty fag to pass the time. I followed the "Smoking Area" signs, which lead me to a door outside. I chuckled merrily at this, as a memory came flooding back about how I had thought leading you outside to a "Smoking Area" was quite funny. But I was wrong! Now there are big signs saying "THIS IS NOT THE SMOKING AREA! THE SMOKING AREA IS DOWN THIS WAY A BIT AND THROUGH THAT DOOR ON THE LEFT. DO NOT SMOKE HERE OR YOU WILL BE TAKEN AWAY IN HANDCUFFS AND QUESTIONED LIKE THE TERRORIST YOU ARE!"

Or something like that. But everyone was smoking there anyway. I presume in the morning one guy lights up, then someone else comes out and thinks well, if he's doing it, I'll do it and so it goes on in perpetuity. I didn't check the actual "Smoking Area" but I bet nobody was in it. There was even a guy with one of those dustpans on long handles sweeping up the butts as soon as they had been stamped out. I guess the airport are fighting a losing battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home