Nej's Natterings

Friday, October 20, 2006

Religious unveiling

The big story at the moment appears to be about Muslims, veils and other religious paraphernalia. So I'm going to ramble about that for a while.

The big furore seems to be that it's not Ok for Muslims to hide their faces. They have a point. 90% (or some other made-up statistic) of communication is facial, and if you have a teacher trying to impart knowledge, this is obviously a hindrance. I once took part in a corporate communication training session exercise that had me trying to draw a diagram whilst facing away from somebody else who was describing it to me. Those who read my previous feelings on Art will know that immediately I was at a slight disadvantage, but it was amazing the difference when the exercise was repeated when facing my colleague. The first attempt bore almost no relation to the diagram in question, but the second was 90% accurate. All because I could see their facial expressions.

To deny our children the right to this is unfair. But, we have to pander to religious needs also. I don't believe that most Muslim women feel demeaned by wearing a veil. It is their belief as much as that of their husbands, so no matter how we may feel, we do have to respect their views.

Now I'm not a religious man. Asking me to swear on the bible in court is as much good as asking me to swear on Fly Fishing by J.R. Hartley, or Lord of the Flies or the 1996 London Telephone Directory, but even if I don't agree with the views of others, I do respect them. Well, sometimes.

Banning the veil outright is not an option, as frankly the government has no right to dictate dress code in our private lives. However, in some situations, it is appropriate to have a dress code and religion must not be allowed to overrule this. We would not expect school teachers to come in dressed in chicken costumes, or wearing mini-skirts, as these would distract from the learning experience. So therefore the veil should be banned in schools. Similarly my employer, although not forceful, expects me to dress reasonably. If I came in wearing my pyjamas I could reasonably expected to be asked to change. Same goes for driving tests and passport photos. Banning crosses or clothing that does not inhibit learning is daft. People should be able to wear items affirming their faith if they like, as long as they remember that religious dogma has no place in schools or in workplaces.

But in their private lives, which includes meetings with Jack Straw, they should be allowed to wear what they want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home