Nej's Natterings

Friday, June 22, 2007

Priorities

As our office move ramps up, I thought I'd share with you the criteria for selecting the new one. The employees were consulted and the list of priorities was basically this:

-Location
-Parking spaces
-Internal space (sufficient desk space, test areas, storage etc)
-Sit-down kitchen
-Flat roof (to allow installation of aerials required for our work)

The management criteria was this:

-Rent

Guess which one it was decided upon?

It's in a different location to where we are now. Whilst for some their commute has been basically removed, for others (like me), it has now doubled. There is no compensation for this extra cost or time away from families.

There are not enough parking spaces.

The internal space is not really enough. I, like all the developers here, have two desks. They aren't big desks, but it is necessary for all the equipment we use. Now, I will have one desk to fit the same amount of stuff on (laptop, external monitor, 5 other PCs, another monitor, various tracking equipment bits, network switch, telephone, KVM, another laptop etc etc). And others have got more stuff than me.

There are no production, storage, lab or test areas.

No sit-down kitchen.

No flat roof.

It's always nice to see a company that listens to its employees.

1 Comments:

  • I got here from the Geobuddies forum. Your blog made me laugh as I can relate to most things you write. I have worked for several companies that ask for employee feedback, and then blatantly ignore it! Will keep checking back now so you can entertain my working days! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home