Nej's Natterings

Monday, June 18, 2007

Cool, man!

But not quite cool enough... I came home from the supermarket on Sunday and opened the freezer door to put something in. Hmm, I said to myself as I pushed a loaf of bread to one side, that bread is not quite as frozen as it should be...

A little investigation lead to throwing away the entire contents of our freezer. Terrific. The cause of the de-frostingness was soon clear. The door wasn't shutting properly. The reason for this was also soon made clear; the layer of frost and ice that requires me to use a sled and a team of huskies to find the fish fingers was now so all-encompassing that the door, whilst seeming to shut, wasn't actually making a seal, although there were a few Canadians standing by my front door with clubs in their hand, lest one be found inhabiting my ice-stricken freezer.

So, what to do? I've previously blogged about my inability to buy a new fridge, but I think this time I might actually manage to do so. For once I've actually got the cash sitting in my bank account, so financial reasons shouldn't deter me, just general tightness and a fleeting hope that I could've used the cash to buy a new computer monitor. Well, at least I could donate my ice to the Arctic as I understand it is running out up there.

So we traipsed to the local electrical store and had a look at fridge/freezers. They are very expensive, it seems, but several are within our price range. A nice American-style side-by-side would be ideal, but alas they are too big. I found one that was wider than average, at 700mm but wasn't sure if it would fit. When I got home I measured the gap (both with a normal measure and my ultra-sonic electric magic measuring thingy), and found it to be 701mm. Not sure I want to risk that...

Anyway, I saw one I liked in the shop, and have since found it online for about £120 less. Good thing I didn't buy it when I saw it... The odd thing is I even got as far as adding it to the basket online (just to check the shipping, you understand), when it recommended two "complimentary products" for "my convenience". They were a washing machine and an oven. Hardly going to be things I buy off-the-cuff when buying a fridge/freezer, but thanks for the offer.

So now the question remains... will I actually buy a new fridge?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home