Nej's Natterings

Friday, February 16, 2007

Weird day

Today has been a weird day.

I had hardly any sleep last night because Joe decided that crying was better than being asleep (I think the poor boy is teething), so I was really tired this morning.

I've got Ele's company's server on my mind, which has had a major disk failure that I'm having to sort out. And then when I get in to work I discover that the company I work for has been sold (signed at about 5am this morning). And then within about an hour of hearing this a major (and I mean major) bid we've just won (a household name haulage company) called up and completely changed the entire scope of the project and wanted an answer back today.

So now I work for a different firm. It's not a merger, but the "entity" has been purchased and will be run under a different parent company. Our name will change, because it has the old parent company name in it. The good bit is that the new firm (I think 4 companies in total, including us) is entirely focused on tracking and telematics. So now we're going to enter a strange period where on one hand it's business as usual, and on the other hand we try to achieve some synergies (alert, management speak!) with the other entities in our universe. As long as those synergies don't mean that I'm out of a job I don't mind.

The major project looks like it might be in addition to what we were proposing to the major new customer, which is good because it means all our current stuff doesn't have to be chucked out, but bad because it's quite complex.

And Ele's company's server is proving to be a nightmare. I'm hoping I can get a couple of new suitable disks from PC-World after work today and that it'll all rebuild it's RAID nicely, but it might not. If I can't get the disks I have to order them last minute from somewhere for a saturday delivery and try and do it over the weekend. But it's not guaranteed to work, and if it doesn't then it'll mean a complete server rebuild, reinstalling Windows, setting up the network and the Active Directory from scratch, reinstalling all applications, putting the data back and so on. This is a huge job, and they are desperate to get it done, as it's hard to run their business without it. I've advised a rethink of their systems (a server in a cupboard is not ideal!) with some investment into IT. They think the same, fortunately, so we'll have a think about how to improve things.

At least I'm invoiving them handsomely for my time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home